Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A period of mourning

Last week I heard the news I had been dreading. Smiley's has been sold. They are going to re-develop it into retail and condos. I guess it's good for the neighborhood, or something like that, but gosh...I hate to see that little piece of character go away. The interesting thing that I learned in the article is that there really IS a place that keeps track of the size of laundromats, and Smiley's really is one of the largest in the country. Now...they don't officially say they are the "world's largest" as the sign states....but hey.....close enough for me. Maybe I'll have to look into buying a condo and living IN Smiley's instead of behind Smiley's.

Note the sign "World's Largest Discount Laundromat"

I love the signs. One says "Smiley's is one of Denver's Most Exciting Landmarks...A place you will never forget." Another says "Dumb Looks are Still Free." Then there's the one that says "Denver's Friendliest Laundromat." What you don't see are the signs on the back of the building. "WARNING by the Denver Police Department: If you walk across this parking lot, and you are not washing clothes at Smiley's, you will be arrested, sent to jail, and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible." Real friendly...huh? Here's a link to a more recent picture of Smiley's and the new day-glo painted windows. I love how they advertise the free Wi-Fi. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in there with a laptop.
I think in tribute, I'll gather up some laundry and go wash something at Smiley's, even though I have my own washer and dryer. Anyone care to join me? I'll be the one with a laptop, blogging all about it. Hey...SOMEONE needs to use the free wi-fi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?