Saturday, December 31, 2005

What are you doing New Year's Eve?

It's New Year's Eve, and I actually have plans....fun plans. A week ago I didn't think I would have ANY plans, but then almost simultaneously I received two invitations and I had to choose. I HATE that. There was talk of a party at Scott's, but it was all kind of up in the air. Then I got an invitation from my long time friend (since we were 14) Betty to a little party that she was throwing with another friend. Right after that, the plans came thru and Scott's was a definite. It was a tough choice, but I decided to go to Scott's since I was kind of invited to it first, and since he lives close and I hate to drive anywhere on New Year's Eve. I promised Betty I'd make a drunken call to her at Midnight, though.

I heard something on the news this morning about some New Year's tradition I'd never heard of before. They said you should ring in the New Year with a new pair of shoes. It's symbolic of leaving the old behind and starting fresh. It seems I must have known this intuitively because I bought two pairs of shoes this week. I was on my way back from getting my new bus pass when I passed Famous Footwear on the 16th Street Mall, and decided to go in, since I'm still on the quest of those cute boots like those worn by the woman in Nickel Creek. They didn't have anything nearly as cute as those, but they did have a pair that would do, and they seemed to be the right balance of cute and practical, which is important when I walk for a good part of my commute to work. I took the boots to the counter, and the clerk said it was "buy one get one half price" and wasn't there another pair of shoes I would like? It just so happens that they had the shoes that the SLC Urban Princess wore that I had envied. They were already on sale, and then I got another half off of that....so how could I refuse? It seems that the Urban Princess and I are the only ones who like these shoes, because they still had a lot of them left! Anyway, those are my new shoes for the evening. I think they will go nicely with my beaded vest. I just hope the fact that I wore them yesterday doesn't ruin the tradition. I think it was a made up tradition anyway, because I googled it and could only find one obscure reference pertaining to CHINESE New Year. Maybe I'll get some more new shoes in January, just to be safe.


Urban Princess......Is this your shoe?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent choices, Susan!

4:43 PM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?