Thursday, January 19, 2006

Confessions of a straight girl at a gay bar

Okay....So last night was a first for me. I have some gay friends, and we've been out together before, but for some reason, I've never been to a gay bar. My friend Steve is always raving about 80's night at his favorite gay bar which happens to be a couple blocks away. So, last night, he and I and our good friend Scot Bingry (not his real name) went. It was so much fun. I'm sitting here this morning thinking of last night's events and literally laughing out loud.

As I was preparing to go out, I was fretting about what I was going to wear and trying to make myself attractive, and all of the sudden it hits me...."You're going to a gay bar....It really doesn't matter how attractive you are!" But...what I failed to take into account is there aren't just gay guys at a gay bar....there were lesbians too....and not long after our arrival I discovered that apparently I had made myself sufficiently attractive. I was totally checked out by a woman there....which was a very odd experience. Luckily, it only went as far as checking me out. She was with someone so she didn't approach me. I'm so glad. I didn't want to have to break her heart.

Then we went into the room where they were having the drag queen show....and I discovered something about myself. Drag queens scare me! I can kind of handle the ones who really look like women, but the larger than life ones....who look like men on Halloween kind of give me the creeps. I don't know why...but when one would come by, I'd cringe and look the other way. So then I started wondering which bathroom the drag queens used, and Steve said that the Men's and Women's signs really don't mean anything there. It's pretty much just a free for all. He also said that there were no doors on the stalls, and if I was scared, he would come with me. Oh my....what an experience THAT was. I was laughing so hard I could barely go. It was just a moment that I'd never pictured in my wildest dreams....that someday I'd be in a stall in the bathroom of a gay bar with Steve acting as my door. Wow....All I can say is that we have bonded in a whole new way!

The dancing was fun. We pretty much danced non-stop the whole night. The 80's had some great dance tunes. The good part was that even with all the drinking, I lost a pound today . I think I may have to incorporate this into my weight loss plan. Oh....and did I mention the drinking? Two Dollar Cosmos! Need I say more?

Other highlights of the evening:
-Meeting Robert the cute and sweet waiter. Yeah....I know he has a boyfriend.....but I'm SURE I can turn him the other way.
-Calling Sara at 1am to tell her we loved her. I hope you enjoyed our drunken message, Sara and that we're still friends. I think you knew we were drinkers and dialers when you gave us your cell phone number. You had to know you were taking a chance!
-Staying until they kicked us out at closing time and professing my love for Robert to the whole bar. He probably gets that all the time.
-Being with two really good friends who always make me laugh and feel loved....even when we're not drunk. I love you guys....and I'm totally sober!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara Z. said...

That was the best drunk-dial call I've ever gotten. I'm saving it to listen to when I'm bored and lonely!

12:22 PM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?