Friday, March 31, 2006

Playing Tag

Last summer I was invited to my friend Aimee's for a 4th of July party. During the course of the party, I was sitting, chatting with another friend, when a young boy named Ben, came running up to our table and shouted out "Anyone who wants to play tag with me....raise your hand." When neither of us raised our hands, he looked at us incredulously and threw his own hand in the air and said, "Like this", as if the only reason we didn't respond must have been because we didn't understand his instructions. We laughed and made some adult like excuses of why we didn't want to play tag, and sent him off to find his uncle Pete, who we figured wouldn't turn down his request. He returned to our table a couple of other times during the evening in an attempt to engage us to play. He was so funny and I can remember telling everyone about this little 5 year old who was the highlight of the party for me.

It wasn't but two months later when Ben was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. They were able to do some treatments that gave him a couple of good months, but on Monday, he passed away. You can read about his story here. I can't imagine the pain his family must be experiencing, but I was reading a book this week and there were some thoughts that gave me comfort....something to hang on to in times when life seems so cruel. The author tells the story of a time when George Bernard Shaw was comforting a friend during a particularly difficult time in her life.

I was shivering. Shaw sat very still. The fire brought the warmth...How long we sat there I do not know, but presently I found myself walking with dragging steps with Shaw beside me...up and down Adelphi Terrace. The weight upon me grew a little lighter and released the tears which would never come before...He let me cry. Presently I heard a voice in which all the gentleness and tenderness of the world was speaking. It said: "Look up, dear, look up to the heavens. There is more in life than this. There is much more."

I love that. It's the only thing that gets me thru sometimes. There is more in life than this.

I'm sorry now that I didn't play tag with Ben that day....but the legacy he leaves with me is that I plan to say yes a lot more often from now on. Thanks Ben, for that lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?